To take a bus from Lima to Arequipa you have 2 main options:
1 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
2 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Oltursa)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Lima to Arequipa are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE|
|CRUZ DEL SUR||DAILY||06:30,14:30 and 16:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||06:00 and 07:00||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP OFF||YES|
|GREEN TOAD||WEEKLY||03:45||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO|
|TEPSA||DAILY||18:00 and 20:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL|| NO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Is it required to travel to the bus companies public terminal or do they pick you up from your hotel/hostel?
- Some bus companies, such as the hop on hop off companies, do pick you up from wherever you’re staying, which is a much more secure and safer service rather than having to take local taxis. Going with public bus companies you will always have to travel to the terminal meaning there is the need to find out where the terminal is and organising transport to on the day of travel.
- How is bus safety in Peru and what are the companies safety records like?
- This varies from company to company. The best way to find out the safety record of any bus company is to put the name of the company with the words “hijackings” or “accidents” and googling the results. This way you will be able to see which companies are the best.
- What can I expect to find on the bus? What are the on-board facilities like?
- Most companies will have TV’s, toilets (how clean the toilets are depend on the company) and semi-cama or cama seats. All important factors which help determine the best company.
- Are there any other benefits I can expect to find depending on the bus company?
- You will find while doing research that different companies offer different things. Some companies have special luxury class buses that come at a higher price, some companies, such as Cruz del Sur, have loyalty point schemes and other companies, such as Peru Hop, offer discounts on accommodation and other things. Make sure to check out a couple of different companies to see what benefits you can get and which will be the best for you.
The journey from Lima to Arequipa should always be split up with visits to Paracas and Huacachina where possible. Make sure to try and find a suitable option which will allow give you some time at either place and then just enjoy your journey! If you decide to take the alternative option of flying, use the Airport Express Lima to get to your hotel/hostel safely.
Quick Tip: If travelling to or from the airport in Lima. There is now a direct bus link between there and Miraflores via the new official Airport Express Lima. These new buses have free wifi and usb charging ports at every seat and best of all tickets are as cheap as $9 usd one way.